Home | Archives | About Between The Lines | Contact us
FOR THE WEEK ENDING March 5, 1999
1)Elliot Mincberg, vice president and general council with People for the American Way who outlines his group's recently launched voter education campaign to defeat the extreme right at the polls in November 2000. Related website on right-wing movements: Political Research Associates at www.publiceye.org.
2) Dr. Jay Gould, Director of the Radiation and Public Health Project, who talks about the Tooth Fairy Project's Baby Teeth Study to measure levels of radioactive strontium-90 in the teeth of children in Long Island and New Jersey.
3)Investigative journalist Larry Shook, who explains why he and many others are advocating that neighbors work together to prepare for the unknown consequences of the coming "Y2K" problem. Related web page: Utne Reader's Y2K Citizens Action Guide
FOR THE WEEK ENDING March 12, 1999
1)Xanana Gusmao, East Timor rebel leader, recently released from prison but still under house arrest, who talks about the recent Indonesian government announcement that it would consider independence for East Timor.
2) Rear Admiral Eugene Carrol of the Center for Defense Information, who discusses the efforts to reach a peace accord in the complex and dangerous conflict in Yugoslavia's embattled Kosovo province.
3)WPKN producer Ebong Udoma, who reports on the recently concluded Nigerian presidential election which will soon bring General Obasanjo to power in that nation's first civilian government in 16 years.
FOR THE WEEK ENDING March 19, 1999
1)Dennis Halliday, former United Nations humanitarian coordinator in Iraq, who explains why he resigned his post last year and why he opposes economic sanctions for the people of Iraq. Related press release: Speaking Tour Will Focus on Plight of Iraqi People Under UN Sanctions
2) Xanana Gusmao, East Timorese rebel leader under house arrest, who talks about his recent meeting with Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, who promised U.S. assistance in the transition to independence for East Timor. Related Pacifica News "Democracy Now!" interview transcript with Xanana Gusmao
3) Carol Richardson, co-director of School of the Americas Watch, who talks about the recent Clarification Report released by the Guatemalan Truth Commission charging the Guatemalan military with genocide.
FOR THE WEEK ENDING March 26, 1999
1) Kate Doyle of the National Security Archive, who comments on the findings of a major human rights investigation in Guatemala which found that nation's military and the United States responsible for genocide during Guatemala's 36-year civil war.
2) Roger Hickey, co-director of the Campaign for America's Future, who describes his group's campaign to preserve the nation's social security system by resisting calls for privatization.
3) Blaise Bonpane and Patricia Todd, part of a six-member delegation, who talk about their visit with Lori Berenson, an American serving a life sentence in the Socabaya prison in Peru. Related website: Free Lori!
Between the Lines is available by subscription for broadcast or individual use. A one-year subscription is $120.00. Tapes of each week's show are also available for $8 each. Send a check or money order, payable to "WPKN Radio," to: Between the Lines/WPKN, 244 University Avenue, Bridgeport, CT 06604.
Production staff: Ruben Abreu, Anthony Cerulli, Bill Cosentino, Prue Cullen, Archibald Currie, Rich Fraser, Scott Harris, Jamie Holmes, Vincent Kay, Valerie Kramer, Denise Manzari, Bob Nixon, Elaine Osowski, Nigel Rees, Melinda Tuhus, Karen Wright. Web page: Anna Manzo.
For more information, write to Scott Harris, Public Affairs Director, WPKN Radio, 244 University Avenue, Bridgeport, CT 06604. You can also send an e-mail request to Scott Harris.
Return to the Between The Lines Home Page
(C) 1999 BETWEEN THE LINES. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.