Thank you to everyone who donated during our 25th anniversary year!
We are still offering thank you gifts up until the Inauguration.
who helped make our 25th anniversary with Jeremy Scahill a success!
For those who missed the event, or were there and really wanted to fully absorb its import, here it is in video
Drones from PROUDEYEMEDIA on Vimeo.
Between The Lines on Stitcher
Between The Lines Presentation at the Left Forum 2016
"How Do We Build A Mass Movement to Reverse Runaway Inequality?" with Les Leopold, author of "Runaway Inequality: An Activist's Guide to Economic Justice,"May 22, 2016, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, The City University of New York, 860 11th Ave. (Between 58th and 59th), New York City. Between The Lines' Scott Harris and Richard Hill moderated this workshop. Listen to the audio/slideshows and more from this workshop.
Listen to audio of the plenary sessions from the weekend.
JEREMY SCAHILL: Oscar-nominated documentary filmmaker "Dirty Wars"
Listen to the full interview (30:33) with Jeremy Scahill, an award-winning investigative journalist with the Nation Magazine, correspondent for Democracy Now! and author of the bestselling book, "Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army," about America's outsourcing of its military. In an exclusive interview with Counterpoint's Scott Harris on Sept. 16, 2013, Scahill talks about his latest book, "Dirty Wars, The World is a Battlefield," also made into a documentary film under the same title, and was nominated Dec. 5, 2013 for an Academy Award in the Best Documentary Feature category.
Listen to Scott Harris Live on WPKN Radio
Between The Lines' Executive Producer Scott Harris hosts a live,
weekly talk show,
Counterpoint, from which some of Between The Lines'
interviews are excerpted. Listen every Monday evening from 8 to 10 p.m.
EDT at www.WPKN.org
(Follows the 5-7 minute White Rose Calendar.)
Counterpoint in its entirety is archived after midnight ET
and is available for at least a year following broadcast in
WPKN Radio's Archives.
You can also listen to
full unedited interview segments from Counterpoint, which
are generally available some time the day following broadcast.
Subscribe to Counterpoint bulletins via our
"For Natives, a "Day of Mourning"by Reginald Johnson, November 23, 2016
"A Bitter Harvest" by Reginald Johnson, Nov. 15, 2016
A compilation of activist and news sites with a progressive point of view
This Week on Between The Lines
Posted March 21, 2012 for week ending March 30, 2012
"The U.S. saying (Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales') massacre of 16 civilians is an aberration, that's not true. ... Afghan people have been bearing night raids, aerial bombardments and drone attacks almost as a norm throughout these horrible years of United States invasion and occupation."
– Kathy Kelly, Voices for Creative Nonviolence, who recently returned from a fact-finding trip to Afghanistan.
Listen to the entire program using these links, or to individual
interviews via the links appearing prior to each segment description
Interview with Kathy Kelly, co-coordinator of Voices for Creative Nonviolence, conducted by Scott Harris
The most recent flashpoint for violence in Afghanistan came after U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales allegedly shot and killed nine children, four men and three women – all civilians, on March 11, in two villages near his Army base in Kandahar province. The shootings followed violent protests provoked by the late February burning of copies of the Koran and other Islamic religious material by U.S. military personnel at America’s Bagram air base. Earlier, a video showing four U.S. Marines urinating on three slain Taliban fighters had provoked angry demonstrations.
Interview with Suzanne Nossel, executive director of Amnesty International, USA, conducted by Melinda Tuhus
The conflict between protesters calling for the ouster of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and the military loyal to the regime continues to escalate. The shelling of cities and towns such as Homs, which has killed and injured hundreds – along with running battles between government troops and the opposition Free Syrian Army is transforming what was once a civilian uprising into what many fear will lead to full scale civil war.
Interview with Kambale Musavuli, national spokesperson and student coordinator with Friends of the Congo, conducted by Scott Harris
The group Invisible Children’s Stop Kony campaign, built around, “Kony 2012,” a 30-minute video that has gone viral around the world, calls attention to the atrocities committed by Ugandan warlord Joseph Kony. Kony’s brutal Lord’s Resistance Army, which is engaged in conflicts in several nations in Central Africa, has abducted thousands of children to serve as child soldiers and sex slaves.
This week’s summary of under-reported news
Compiled by Bob Nixon
- Over the last year, 25 Tibetans, mostly young and educated, have immolated themselves in public places, protesting Chinese repression of Tibetan culture and religion. ("Tibetan teenager self-immolates on anniversary of failed uprising," The Guardian, March 13, 2012; "Self-immolations in Tibet show no sign of slowing," Los Angeles Times, March 10, 2012)
- In anticipation of Pope Benedict’s upcoming two-day visit to Cuba, 13 dissidents occupied a Catholic Church in Havana. The protesters wanted a meeting with the Pope to discuss their demand for the release of political prisoners held by Cuba’s Communist government. ("Cuba Catholic dissidents occupy church in Havana," BBC News, March 14, 2012; "The Second Coming of El Papa in Cuba," In These Times, March 7, 2012)
- On March 1, David and Charles Koch, funders of many right-wing groups, filed a suit in Kansas to take control of the Cato Institute, an established libertarian think tank whose mission is to defend “free markets, individual liberty and peace.” ("Cato Institute is caught in a rift over its direction," New York Times, March 6, 2012; "Save Cato," Cato Institute, March 12, 2012; "A response to Charles Koch from Robert A. Levy, chairman," Cato Institute, March 12, 2012; "The Cato Institute’s amazing hypocrisy as it battles the Kochtopus," CounterPunch.org, March 12, 2012)
- Nathan Wessler: Obama Administration Program that Assassinates U.S. Citizens Challenged in FOIA Lawsuit
- Terry O'Neill: Rush Limbaugh's Attack on Law Student Sandra Fluke Provokes Campaign to Shut Down His Show
- Keesha Gaskins: Justice Department and Courts Block Restrictive Voting Laws Enacted in GOP-Controlled States
- Melvin A. Goodman: U.S. and Israel's Threats Could Lead to Unpredictable Military Confrontation with Iran
- Judy Tabar: GOP Doubles Down on War Against Women's Access to Contraception
- Tyson Slocum: Speculation and Exports Cause Latest Gas Price Spike
- Chris Rude: Obama Plan to Reform Corporate Tax Code Fails to Shift Larger Tax Burden onto Big Business
- Patty Blum: U.S. Judge Clears Way for Deportation of Former El Salvadoran General for War Crimes
- Peter Montgomery: GOP Presidential Candidates Revive Christian Right Culture War to Rally Its Extremist Base
- Costas Panayotakis: Greeks Resist Harsh Austerity Measures Imposed by Eurozone as Condition for New $172 Billion Bailout
- Shahid Buttar: National Campaign Organizes to Overturn Provisions of the National Defense Authorization Act that Empowers Government to Indefinitely Detain American Citizens
- Patty Lovera: Consumer Groups Demand Rigorous Government Study of Genetically Engineered Salmon's Hazards to Human Health
- Jamal Abdi: Tensions Escalate as Israel and Iran Trade Charges in Embassy Bombings
- Rachel Goldenberg: Rabbis' Group Fights for Rights of the Oppressed in Israel and the U.S.
- Jeff Clements: 2012 Campaign Spending Breaking New Records as Groups Fight to Overturn Supreme Court 'Corporate Personhood' Decision
- Richard Eskow: After Years of Inaction, Obama Moves to Investigate Wall Street Role in Economic Collapse
- Bruce Hamilton: Sierra Club Secretly Took $26 million from Natural Gas Industry for Campaign Against Coal-Fired Power Plants
- Theresa Moran: New Wave of Anti-Union Legislation Launched with Passage of Indiana "Right-to-Work" Law
- Bob Edgar: State-by-State Campaign Working for Constitutional Amendment to Overturn Citizens United Decision
- Meghan Smith: Obama Ruling on Access to Birth Control Provokes Attack from GOP and Religious Right
- Sandy Nurse: The Occupy Movement Prepares for Spring Actions as 400 Arrested in Oakland
- Kevin Alexander Gray: In 2012 GOP Primary Campaign, "Racist Dog Whistle" Sounds Like a Bullhorn
- Emily Bernhardt: Study Finds Surface and Mountaintop Removal Coal Mining Degrades Water Quality
- Josh Levy: Cyber Activists Rise Up to Derail Proposed Federal Anti-Piracy Bills
- Muhammad Sahimi: Assassination of Iranian Nuclear Scientists: A Provocation for War?
- Kevin Gosztola: Bradley Manning Defense Team and Support Network Prepare for Court Martial
- Dedrick Muhammad: Without Public Policy Change, America Headed for Increased Racial Inequality
- Shahid Buttar: Breaking Campaign Pledge, Obama Signs Indefinite Detention into Law
- Mark Hays: National Protest Actions will Oppose Supreme Court Ruling Granting "Corporate Personhood"
- Cindy Cohn: Appeals Court Revives Lawsuit Challenging Warrantless Government Surveillance
- Gar Alperovitz: Rising Economic Inequality Provokes Search for Practical, Democratic Alternatives
- Lynn Freeman: Campaign to Recall Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker Confident of Gathering Required Signatures Before Jan. 17th Deadline
- Jihan Nasser: Palestinian Women's Center Overcomes Many Obstacles to Provide Technical Training to Those in Need
- Rainey Reitman: Defense Lawyers Counter Claim of Harm to U.S. in Army Whistleblower Bradley Manning's Recent Hearing
- Rona Moran: Website Exposes Companies that Profit from Israeli Occupation of Palestinian Land
- Robert Weil: Wukan Village Revolt, Evidence of Growing Social Unrest in China
- Joshua Landis: Arab League Intervenes as Syrian Uprising on Verge of Civil War
- Ian Finkenbinder: West Coast Port Shutdown Tests Occupy Wall Street-Union Relations
- Cindy Sheehan: Reflecting on the Cost and Legacy of the Iraq War
- Daphne Wysham: Durban Climate Change Conference Averts Collapse, Negotiations on New Treaty Delayed
- Paul Billings: Federal Clean Air Standards That Could Save Thousands of Lives is Under Attack
- April Tyler: National Campaign Launched to Challenge GOP Efforts to Suppress Voting Rights
- Robert Naiman: Increased Tension Between the West and Iran Risks Unintended Military Confrontation
- Chris Anders: Congress Votes to Empower President to Imprison Americans Indefinitely Without Charge or Trial
- Henry Waxman: GOP House Majority Working to Weaken Key Provisions of Clean Air Act
- Seif Da'Na: Egypt's Second Popular Uprising Targets Military's Hold on Power
- Akinwole-Bandele: Death Penalty Opponents Must Also Fight Racism in U.S. Criminal Justice System
- Heidi Boghosian: National Lawyers Guild Seeks Files on Federal Role in Police Suppression of Occupy Wall Street Movement
- Mark Bray and Senia Barragan: After Police Raid, Zuccotti Park Still a Hub for Occupy Wall Street Movement
- Richard Wolff: Occupy Wall Street Has Potential to be a Transformative Movement for Social Change
- Mazin Qumsiyeh: Although Violence Captures Most Attention, Palestinians Carry on with Nonviolent Resistance
- Arun Gupta: Police Suppression of Occupy Wall Street Movement Forces Activists to Adopt New Tactics and Strategies
- Clea Thauin: Human Rights Group Decries Israel's Imprisonment of 20 Percent of Palestinians Under Occupation Since 1967
- Susan Casey Lefkowitz: Environmental Opponents Take Credit for Obama Administration's Delaying Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline Decision
- Ralph Nader: The Threat Posed by Occupy Wall Street to U.S. Political and Economic Status Quo
- Ellen Miller: Demands for Transparency Target Money Flowing to Members of Congressional Deficit Super Committee
- Ben Hewitt: Vermont Farmer Builds Model for Sustainable Local Food System
- Eric Kingson: Failure of Congressional Super Committee May Be Best Outcome to Protect Social Safety Net
- Aaron Viles: Federal-State Task Force Proposes Strategy to Restore Oil Spill-Ravaged Gulf of Mexico
- Arun Gupta: Occupy Wall Street Movement Employs New Tactics to Confront Increased Police Violence
- Vijay Prashad: U.S.-NATO Military Intervention in Libya: A Blueprint for the Future?
- Riki Ott: Fossil Fuel's Damaging Effects on Human Health, Reason Enough to Demand Renewable Energy Future
- Tom Hayden: Veteran Civil Rights and Anti-War Organizer Assesses the Power of the Occupy Wall Street Movement
- Sarah Lipton-Lubet: House Passes Bill that Denies Women Emergency Abortion Services
- Jeff Smith: As Occupy Wall Street Movement Gains Power, Activists Determined Not to Be Co-Opted by Political Parties
- Ellen Brown: North Dakota's State-Owned Bank a Viable Alternative Model to For-profit Banking System
- Medea Benjamin: Occupy Wall Street Movement Expands Exponentially Across the U.S.
- Occupy Wall Street protesters: Voices of the 99 Percent
- Andy Kroll: Grim Economic Data Illustrate the Severe Decline of America's Middle Class