The Resistance Starts Now!
Between The Lines' coverage and resource compilation of the Resistance Movement
Subscribe to our Weekly Summary & receive our FREE Resist Trump window cling
(Car window cling)
Email us with your mailing address at email@example.com to receive our "Resist Trump/Resist Hate" car window cling!
Thank you to everyone who donated during our 25th anniversary year!
See our thank you gifts for your donation and/or BTL Weekly Summary subscription. Be sure to send us an email of where we can send you our Resist Trump/Resist Hate window cling to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
who helped make our 25th anniversary with Jeremy Scahill a success!
For those who missed the event, or were there and really wanted to fully absorb its import, here it is in video
Drones from PROUDEYEMEDIA on Vimeo.
Between The Lines on Stitcher
Between The Lines Presentation at the Left Forum 2016
"How Do We Build A Mass Movement to Reverse Runaway Inequality?" with Les Leopold, author of "Runaway Inequality: An Activist's Guide to Economic Justice,"May 22, 2016, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, The City University of New York, 860 11th Ave. (Between 58th and 59th), New York City. Between The Lines' Scott Harris and Richard Hill moderated this workshop. Listen to the audio/slideshows and more from this workshop.
Listen to audio of the plenary sessions from the weekend.
JEREMY SCAHILL: Oscar-nominated documentary filmmaker "Dirty Wars"
Listen to the full interview (30:33) with Jeremy Scahill, an award-winning investigative journalist with the Nation Magazine, correspondent for Democracy Now! and author of the bestselling book, "Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army," about America's outsourcing of its military. In an exclusive interview with Counterpoint's Scott Harris on Sept. 16, 2013, Scahill talks about his latest book, "Dirty Wars, The World is a Battlefield," also made into a documentary film under the same title, and was nominated Dec. 5, 2013 for an Academy Award in the Best Documentary Feature category.
Listen to Scott Harris Live on WPKN Radio
Between The Lines' Executive Producer Scott Harris hosts a live,
weekly talk show,
Counterpoint, from which some of Between The Lines'
interviews are excerpted. Listen every Monday evening from 8 to 10 p.m.
EDT at www.WPKN.org
(Follows the 5-7 minute White Rose Calendar.)
Counterpoint in its entirety is archived after midnight ET
and is available for at least a year following broadcast in
WPKN Radio's Archives.
You can also listen to
full unedited interview segments from Counterpoint, which
are generally available some time the day following broadcast.
Subscribe to Counterpoint bulletins via our
"The Rogue World Order: Connecting the Dots Between Trump, Flynn, Bannon, Spencer, Dugin Putin," by Anna Manzo (GlobalHealing), Daily Kos, Feb. 13, 2017
"Widespread Resistance Begins to Trump's Muslim Travel Ban at U.S. Airports," by Anna Manzo (GlobalHealing), Daily Kos, Jan. 28, 2017
"MSNBC Editor: Women's March is a Revival of the Progressive Movement," by Anna Manzo (GlobalHealing), Daily Kos, Jan. 24, 2017
"Cornering Trump," by Reginald Johnson, Jan. 19, 2017
"Free Leonard Peltier," by Reginald Johnson, Jan. 6, 2016
"For Natives, a "Day of Mourning"by Reginald Johnson, November 23, 2016
"A Bitter Harvest" by Reginald Johnson, Nov. 15, 2016
A compilation of activist and news sites with a progressive point of view
This Week on Between The Lines
Posted May 9, 2012 for week ending May 18, 2012
"There's a way to speed up the ending (of the Afghan war) or just sit back and let it play out. People that are concerned should be pushing for passage of Rep. Barbara Lee's legislation to get us out of there, pushing their members of Congress to sign Lee's letter to NATO urging a more rapid withdrawal. ... It could be ended in one or three years."
– Tom Hayden, former California legislator, activist and co-founder of Students for a Democratic Society, on President Obama's May 1 speech on Afghanistan
Listen to the entire program using these links, or to individual
interviews via the links appearing prior to each segment description
Interview with Tom Hayden, former California legislator, activist and co-founder of Students for a Democratic Society, conducted by Scott Harris
Marking the one-year anniversary of his order that sent a U.S. Navy Seal team into Pakistan, where they killed al Qaida leader Osama bin-Laden, President Obama traveled in secrecy to Afghanistan on May 1, where he addressed the nation about the Afghan war. In a speech televised live from a military hangar at the U.S. Bagram Air base, the president outlined his plan to end the Afghan conflict, in his words, "responsibly."
Interview with Mazin Qumsiyeh, a Palestinian American activist and author of “Popular Resistance in Palestine: A History of Hope and Empowerment”, conducted by Melinda Tuhus
Even as Israeli government leaders continue to press their case for military action against Iran, targeting their nuclear capability, they continue to ignore the issue of Palestinian rights as their occupation of the West Bank marks its 45th year. In President Barack Obama's last meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu, neither man even raised the Palestinian issue. But Palestinians themselves are moving ahead with campaigns of nonviolent resistance, including prisoner hunger strikes, promotion of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign and other creative responses.
Interview with Bob Edgar, former six-term congressional representative who now serves as president and CEO of Common Cause, conducted by Scott Harris
The American Legislative Exchange Council, or ALEC, has come under scrutiny in recent months for its under-the-radar campaign to pass a variety of laws supported by its corporate membership in state legislatures across the U.S. One of ALEC’s signature efforts was their success in 2011 in eliminating public sector labor unions’ collective bargaining rights in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana and Michigan. In the aftermath of the Florida shooting death of Trayvon Martin by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, ALEC’s promotion of permissive Stand Your Ground gun laws has been the subject of national media coverage.
This week’s summary of under-reported news
Compiled by Bob Nixon
- The European Union and the United Nations are calling on Cambodia to launch an independent inquiry into the murder of prominent anti-logging activist Chut Wutty, who died in a confrontation with a Cambodian soldier. ("Cambodian officer killed environment activist then took his own life, army says," The Guardian, April 27, 2012; "Who is responsible for the death of Cambodia’s foremost forest activist?" The Guardian blog, May 1, 2012; "UN, EU urge probe into Cambodian activist killing," AFP, May 2, 2012
- According to Foreign Policy magazine, a new industry has sprung up among Shiite clerics and fundamentalists in Iran offering advice on a variety of sexual topics, including the nature of "quickie" sexual encounters and masturbation. ("The Ayatollah under the bed (sheets)," Foreign Policy, May/June 2012)
- Outside the General Electric shareholders meeting in Detroit, over 2,000 people marched to shine a harsh light on GE for not paying federal income taxes for three years and cutting wages to its American blue-collar workforce. ("Thousands hit GE shareholders meeting to protest tax-dodging job-slashing bad business," Labor Notes, April 29, 2012; "50 percent pay cuts at GE plants: is this the future of American jobs?" Labor Notes, April 16, 2012)
- Christian Ramirez: U.S. Supreme Court Hears Arguments Challenging Constitutionality of Arizona's "Papers Please" Law
- Aaron Viles: BP Oil Spill Disaster Fines to be Dedicated to Gulf Coast Wetlands Restoration
- Mark Bray: Occupy Wall Street Movement Returns to the Streets in May Day Spring Revival
- Jeremy Holden: U.S. Network TV News Misleads on Iranian Nuclear Threat
- Dolores Huerta: Farm Workers Union Co-Founder: Together Progressive Activists can Advance Social Justice in America
- Greg Palast: Investigation Finds BP Cover-Up of Information on 2008 Blowout a Precursor to 2010 Gulf Coast Disaster
- Lee Farris: Tax Fairness Debate Takes Center Stage in Presidential Election Year
- Everette Thompson: Amnesty International: Decades of Solitary Confinement at Louisiana’s Angola Prison Amounts to Torture
- Alex Main: Summit of the Americas Highlights Latin Nations' Growing Independence from Washington
- Baher Azmy: Civil Liberties Advocates: Supreme Court Strip Search Ruling Could Lead to Systematic Police Abuse
- Richard Dieter: Connecticut Poised to Become 17th State to End Capital Punishment; Executions in Decline in U.S.
- Rashad Robinson: ColorofChange.org Succeeds in Pressuring Major Corporations to Resign from Right-wing Policy Group American Legislative Exchange Council
- Jin Hee Lee: Shooting Death of Trayvon Martin Provokes National Debate on Racial Profiling
- Chuck Nelson: Federal Court Overturns EPA Revocation of Mountain Top Removal Coal Mine Permit
- John Cavanagh: "99% Spring" Coalition of Unions, Students, Environmental Groups Organizing for Direct Action Protests
- Dr. Margaret Flowers: Single-Payer Advocates Favor High Court Overturning Obama Individual Mandate
- Medea Benjamin: U.S. Peace Movement Regroups to Stop War with Iran
- U.S. Rep. Earl Blumenauer: Bicyclists Organize to Battle Budget Freeze Out
- Kathy Kelly: U.S. Soldier's Murder of 16 Afghan Civilians Provokes Growing Anger Toward American Occupation
- Suzanne Nossel: Amnesty International Report: Syrian Government Opponents Subjected to Systematic Torture
- Kumbale Musavuli: Critics Say Kony 2012 Campaign Offers Wrong Response to Central Africa's Complex Issues
- Nathan Wessler: Obama Administration Program that Assassinates U.S. Citizens Challenged in FOIA Lawsuit
- Terry O'Neill: Rush Limbaugh's Attack on Law Student Sandra Fluke Provokes Campaign to Shut Down His Show
- Keesha Gaskins: Justice Department and Courts Block Restrictive Voting Laws Enacted in GOP-Controlled States
- Melvin A. Goodman: U.S. and Israel's Threats Could Lead to Unpredictable Military Confrontation with Iran
- Judy Tabar: GOP Doubles Down on War Against Women's Access to Contraception
- Tyson Slocum: Speculation and Exports Cause Latest Gas Price Spike
- Chris Rude: Obama Plan to Reform Corporate Tax Code Fails to Shift Larger Tax Burden onto Big Business
- Patty Blum: U.S. Judge Clears Way for Deportation of Former El Salvadoran General for War Crimes
- Peter Montgomery: GOP Presidential Candidates Revive Christian Right Culture War to Rally Its Extremist Base
- Costas Panayotakis: Greeks Resist Harsh Austerity Measures Imposed by Eurozone as Condition for New $172 Billion Bailout
- Shahid Buttar: National Campaign Organizes to Overturn Provisions of the National Defense Authorization Act that Empowers Government to Indefinitely Detain American Citizens
- Patty Lovera: Consumer Groups Demand Rigorous Government Study of Genetically Engineered Salmon's Hazards to Human Health
- Jamal Abdi: Tensions Escalate as Israel and Iran Trade Charges in Embassy Bombings
- Rachel Goldenberg: Rabbis' Group Fights for Rights of the Oppressed in Israel and the U.S.
- Jeff Clements: 2012 Campaign Spending Breaking New Records as Groups Fight to Overturn Supreme Court 'Corporate Personhood' Decision
- Richard Eskow: After Years of Inaction, Obama Moves to Investigate Wall Street Role in Economic Collapse
- Bruce Hamilton: Sierra Club Secretly Took $26 million from Natural Gas Industry for Campaign Against Coal-Fired Power Plants
- Theresa Moran: New Wave of Anti-Union Legislation Launched with Passage of Indiana "Right-to-Work" Law
- Bob Edgar: State-by-State Campaign Working for Constitutional Amendment to Overturn Citizens United Decision
- Meghan Smith: Obama Ruling on Access to Birth Control Provokes Attack from GOP and Religious Right
- Sandy Nurse: The Occupy Movement Prepares for Spring Actions as 400 Arrested in Oakland
- Kevin Alexander Gray: In 2012 GOP Primary Campaign, "Racist Dog Whistle" Sounds Like a Bullhorn
- Emily Bernhardt: Study Finds Surface and Mountaintop Removal Coal Mining Degrades Water Quality
- Josh Levy: Cyber Activists Rise Up to Derail Proposed Federal Anti-Piracy Bills
- Muhammad Sahimi: Assassination of Iranian Nuclear Scientists: A Provocation for War?
- Kevin Gosztola: Bradley Manning Defense Team and Support Network Prepare for Court Martial
- Dedrick Muhammad: Without Public Policy Change, America Headed for Increased Racial Inequality
- Shahid Buttar: Breaking Campaign Pledge, Obama Signs Indefinite Detention into Law
- Mark Hays: National Protest Actions will Oppose Supreme Court Ruling Granting "Corporate Personhood"
- Cindy Cohn: Appeals Court Revives Lawsuit Challenging Warrantless Government Surveillance
- Gar Alperovitz: Rising Economic Inequality Provokes Search for Practical, Democratic Alternatives
- Lynn Freeman: Campaign to Recall Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker Confident of Gathering Required Signatures Before Jan. 17th Deadline
- Jihan Nasser: Palestinian Women's Center Overcomes Many Obstacles to Provide Technical Training to Those in Need
- Rainey Reitman: Defense Lawyers Counter Claim of Harm to U.S. in Army Whistleblower Bradley Manning's Recent Hearing
- Rona Moran: Website Exposes Companies that Profit from Israeli Occupation of Palestinian Land
- Robert Weil: Wukan Village Revolt, Evidence of Growing Social Unrest in China
- Joshua Landis: Arab League Intervenes as Syrian Uprising on Verge of Civil War
- Ian Finkenbinder: West Coast Port Shutdown Tests Occupy Wall Street-Union Relations
- Cindy Sheehan: Reflecting on the Cost and Legacy of the Iraq War
- Daphne Wysham: Durban Climate Change Conference Averts Collapse, Negotiations on New Treaty Delayed
- Paul Billings: Federal Clean Air Standards That Could Save Thousands of Lives is Under Attack
- April Tyler: National Campaign Launched to Challenge GOP Efforts to Suppress Voting Rights
- Robert Naiman: Increased Tension Between the West and Iran Risks Unintended Military Confrontation
- Chris Anders: Congress Votes to Empower President to Imprison Americans Indefinitely Without Charge or Trial
- Henry Waxman: GOP House Majority Working to Weaken Key Provisions of Clean Air Act
- Seif Da'Na: Egypt's Second Popular Uprising Targets Military's Hold on Power
- Akinwole-Bandele: Death Penalty Opponents Must Also Fight Racism in U.S. Criminal Justice System
- Heidi Boghosian: National Lawyers Guild Seeks Files on Federal Role in Police Suppression of Occupy Wall Street Movement
- Mark Bray and Senia Barragan: After Police Raid, Zuccotti Park Still a Hub for Occupy Wall Street Movement
- Richard Wolff: Occupy Wall Street Has Potential to be a Transformative Movement for Social Change
- Mazin Qumsiyeh: Although Violence Captures Most Attention, Palestinians Carry on with Nonviolent Resistance
- Arun Gupta: Police Suppression of Occupy Wall Street Movement Forces Activists to Adopt New Tactics and Strategies
- Clea Thauin: Human Rights Group Decries Israel's Imprisonment of 20 Percent of Palestinians Under Occupation Since 1967
- Susan Casey Lefkowitz: Environmental Opponents Take Credit for Obama Administration's Delaying Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline Decision
- Ralph Nader: The Threat Posed by Occupy Wall Street to U.S. Political and Economic Status Quo
- Ellen Miller: Demands for Transparency Target Money Flowing to Members of Congressional Deficit Super Committee
- Ben Hewitt: Vermont Farmer Builds Model for Sustainable Local Food System
- Eric Kingson: Failure of Congressional Super Committee May Be Best Outcome to Protect Social Safety Net
- Aaron Viles: Federal-State Task Force Proposes Strategy to Restore Oil Spill-Ravaged Gulf of Mexico
- Arun Gupta: Occupy Wall Street Movement Employs New Tactics to Confront Increased Police Violence
- Vijay Prashad: U.S.-NATO Military Intervention in Libya: A Blueprint for the Future?
- Riki Ott: Fossil Fuel's Damaging Effects on Human Health, Reason Enough to Demand Renewable Energy Future
- Tom Hayden: Veteran Civil Rights and Anti-War Organizer Assesses the Power of the Occupy Wall Street Movement
- Sarah Lipton-Lubet: House Passes Bill that Denies Women Emergency Abortion Services
- Jeff Smith: As Occupy Wall Street Movement Gains Power, Activists Determined Not to Be Co-Opted by Political Parties
- Ellen Brown: North Dakota's State-Owned Bank a Viable Alternative Model to For-profit Banking System
- Medea Benjamin: Occupy Wall Street Movement Expands Exponentially Across the U.S.
- Occupy Wall Street protesters: Voices of the 99 Percent
- Andy Kroll: Grim Economic Data Illustrate the Severe Decline of America's Middle Class